He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
--Albert Einstein --

Friday, November 7, 2008

Compos Mentis

Compos Mentis

There are fifty-three synonyms for the adjective eccentric
from aberrant to yo-yo, including freaky, geeky and off-center

I like idiosyncratic for myself but way out is not far off
I'm a nail that screams hit me hammer I'm way out

I've tried to hide my face in the crowd to just pass by
but I've never been one to conform, I don't like to flow

I guess I'll never believe that the bell curve is compos mentis
and I'll never be fingered for waxing conventional

When you look at me so strangely I know that you fear
you're afraid of what I can do unbound by your rituals

Maybe, just maybe my father wasn't around like yours
maybe no one taught me to work on cars and make repairs

Could be that some one taught me how to dream
someone taught me how to imagine I could make things better

And maybe just because no one taught me to think like you
it doesn't mean that I'm demented, drifting astray

I probably am lost in this sea of judges of good intentions
see me guilty if willingness to risk means a plan is sour

So get comfortable and pretend that normal is always right
hammer me down if you get the chance, I understand

Here I am sticking way up waving diversity way out
Caught staring off in the distance afraid this world is small.

No comments: